Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tired of boring cardio? There's a cure for that.

Sorry it's been a few days since my last update! I've been really focused on my training between HIIT and strength training. On Friday I focused on cardio/core, doing 20 minutes of HIIT, 5 minutes low intensity cardio, and a KILLER core circuit. It was intense. My abs still hurt today even though I take a muscle recovery supplement. I did MMA today at home since I don't have gym access on weekends. I'm a black belt in Taekwondo so I have all the equipment at my house. It was a lot of fun, nice to take a break from strength training for a day or two. (:

Anyway I don't know about you guys, but nothing is more boring to me than a grueling session of cardio, going at a constant pace, on the elliptical or treadmill. There's no excitement about it, and the only way to keep yourself entertained is by reading a magazine or listening to music, or both. Those 30, 45, or however many minutes seem like hours.

So, how can you make cardio sessions less boring and more engaging? Actually, there's a lot of different ways.

MMA style training, Interval training, any form of dance or circuit training (AKA cross-training) are great ways to pump up your heart rate, burn fat, and have fun all at the same time. Most of these alternative cardio methods engage more muscle groups than running or jogging, which burns extra calories among other benefits. You can also be really creative and set up obstacle courses for yourself and try to finish them as fast as you can. (Also you don't have to join a class to do MMA or dance, there are plenty of free videos online that guide you through these types of workouts. I have a ton of links if anyone wants them.)

Cardio doesn't have to be a pain in the ass. If you don't like spending tons of time on the treadmill, maybe try a new method. You may find it to be your new favourite part of going to the gym or exercising in general. (:

1 comment:

  1. Hey I love you blog! Haha I read through all the posts so as too catch up do you know of any good taebo or shadowboxing videos?

    ReplyDelete